Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

My life as told by my waistline...

But first...here is the thing I wanted to share but didn't feel it was appropriate to yet.

Yup! Happy and in love again...

OK, so on to the topic of this post. 

Like most people, my healthy lifestyle moves with the ebbs and flows of my schedule. Right now I'm hitting another fitness peak; working out twice a week with personal trainers (thanks to my employer), running twice a week (after a frustrating hip flexor injury), counting those calories. 

Pause

Use THIS formula will you? Stop relying on automated apps, online calculators, heart rate monitors, etc.  Every single one has over estimated my calorie needs by 200 a day! That can end up adding a pound to my butt every two weeks!

Resume

Anyway, I pulled out an old journal that I used to record my measurements when I first started my healthier lifestyle.  I noticed an interesting, yet not surprising trend...my weight and size changed as the stresses in my life changed.

April 2006
Weight 117lbs
Waist 30.25 inches
Life event-Newlywed for 10 months. AKA happy, comfortable and "he loves me no matter what." Also, "What the hell has happened to you?" asks lil sis. For perspective I was 108lbs on my wedding day.

August 2006
Weight 107lbs
Waist 27.5 inches
Life event-Oh CRAP I"m going to be 30 in two years... I better do something about it now. Low carb and workout DVD's enter my life.

For the next year and a half I plateau. 107 felt pretty good after 117 and I wasn't counting calories.

December 2008
Weight 111lbs
Waist 28.25 inches
Life event-New career. Company called Sugar. Food everywhere, as is standard in Silicon Valley tech.

July 2009
Weight 100lbs
Waist 25.25 inches
Life event-Failing marriage. This weight loss was 100% stress related. I wasn't working out, or eating, or sleeping for that matter.  I drank wine more than I ate and when I did eat, health was the last thing on my mind.

January 2010
Weight 104.5lbs
Waist 26.75 inches
Life event-Taking control. One month away from my own place. Eating well again but working out is not on the priority list. Packing and keeping my job are.

February 2011
Weight 91lbs
Waist 24 inches
Life event-It's All About Me. One year on my own, control freakish about my diet and working out 6 days a week. This is a few pounds too far the other direction. Deep down I wasn't truly happy but it was better than being in a miserable marriage.

May 2012
Weight 101lbs
Waist Unknown
Life event- New Love/New Job. Yep, almost a year into a new love, volunteering, and a high stress position at work and I'm ten pounds above my lowest weight (about 6lbs above what I think of as my healthy weight). Less time for me, more excuses to eat and drink and cuddle instead of workout and count my calories.

Today
Weight 95lbs
Waist 25.5

Today I am really happy. I've found a way to balance my healthy lifestyle with my happy life. I have to give a lot of credit to Kenny (see handsome man in pic above) for all of his support. It helps a lot being with someone who also is fit and prefers fresh food. Most importantly, he is happy if I am happy. Counting calories? He gets that that is what I need to do to maintain my weight. Staying at work an hour longer twice a week? Of course that's fine...it means he has girlfriend without a muffin top...and that sometimes I'll miss his softball games.  Passing on that glass of wine some nights? He gets that too...he can have his. I don't need mine. I work hard, I make choices.

This doesn't just happen. Nothing worthwhile in life just happens. Life gets in the way...a lot. So you do it again. That's what this is all about. You just ride the ebbs and flows and stay calm.

Today my waistline says...life is pretty awesome.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and welcome your comments. I will be moderating them though. Honestly, I don't swear and I take pride in my education so do your best to use proper language and grammar. Being passionate is one thing. Sounding like an idiot...just makes you sound like an idiot.